Week 4, Day 4 of Come, Lord Jesus, Come (A Love God Greatly Study) – In The Blinking Of An Eye
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:50-58 (SOAP: 1 Corinthians 15:51-52)
Listen, I will tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the blinking of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.1 Corinthians 15:51-52 NET
Observations of Transformation
Paul, talking to believers, grabs his listeners attention with – “Listen”, or “behold” as some translations write – either translation is meant to alert those listening that what he is about to say is important. Knowing that there are those who doubt the actual resurrection of the body he proceeds to “reveal to them the mystery” behind the resurrection. When Christ returns –
- Dead or alive believers will be changed – transformed into a heavenly body, like Jesus (49)
- Trumpets will sound and at the last sound
- The dead will be raised ‘imperishable’, meaning they no longer have their earthly bodies but heavenly ones (see verse 49)
- and those who are alive will likewise be changed from mortal to immortal, perishable to imperishable
- And death will be swallowed up in victory!
Application – So, What Does This Mean For Us
It means we have been given a wonderful promise of HOPE and eternity in a new and improved body. For we will be transformed from perishable to imperishable and from mortal to immortal. It means we can rejoice now as we look forward to what God has promised.
Prayer – Response To God’s Word
Father, thank You for the promise of eternity with You – a promise that is yes and amen in Jesus! Thank You that one day this mortal, perishable body will be changed into an imperishable, immortal one. – Help me to stand firm in this and not be shaken as I wait on You.
Your Turn: Reflections
What excites you the most when you think about getting a new imperishable body when Christ returns?