Week 2, Day 5 of Come, Lord Jesus, Come – (A Love God Greatly Study)
Today’s Reading: Revelation 22:20-21 (SOAP: verse 12)
He who is the faithful witness to all these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon!” Amen! Come, Lord Jesus! 21 May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s holy people.Revelation 22:20-21
Jesus, the one who testifies to these things John has written, confirms His impending return. This of course closes the New Testament much the same way that Malachi’s words closed the old, with a promise that Jesus, “the sun of righteousness” (Malachi 4:2) and the “bright morning star” (Rev. 22:16) is coming soon! To which John responds, and we often find ourselves echoing: “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!”
For me those could have been the closing words, but what John says next is somehow more beautiful. For, what better prayer could there be than for God’s sustaining grace(s) to be with His people as they wait. 1Paul Tripp writes of six different types of grace and acknowledges that there are even more. Grace is grace though, right? Well, yes. However, within that one word there is a treasure trove of gifts. Gifts like forgiveness from sins, acceptance into His family, His forever presence, His glorious grace-gift of freedom from the bondage of sin, and the grace of our faith made complete2– no more sin or sorrow, when “Everything will be restored, and we will worship in the presence of this amazing God of grace.” Until then, there is the grace-gift of enablement, which comes to us through His divine power and gives us everything we need to live a godly life.3
- Phrases and quotes are from – https://www.paultripp.com/articles/posts/6-types-of-grace.
- Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. James 1:2-4
- By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires. 2 Peter 1:3-4
So What Does This Mean for us?
It means that …
- we can trust that He will return (2 Corinthians 1:20)
- we serve a God of Grace(s) (1 Peter 5:10, and others)
- by His grace we are forgiven (1 John 1:9) and of accepted into His family (1 John 3:1-2)
- He is always present with us (John 14:16)
- He has equipped us with His power and strength to do what He has called us to do (2 Peter 1:3-4)
- We’ve been set free from the law of sin and death (Rom 6:14-15)
- and that will one day our faith will be made complete (Phil 1:6)
So again, I echo a prayer of John’s – as we wait upon His faithful promise – “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with all of His Holy People.” – And to this I say amen!
Response to God’s Word
Father, God of Grace and mercy thank You for sending Jesus as a gift of salvation to all who believe. May those who have not yet believed – hear, believe, and be saved; and may those of us who have believed stand firm in our belief and faithful to Your calling, to make Christ known, as we wait on Your perfect timing and love. For we know that You have not forgotten, nor are You slow in keeping Your promise as some count slowness, but You, in Your goodness and love, are patient, not wishing that any should perish but that all should reach repentance! This is my prayer in Jesus’ Name – amen!
Your Turn: Reflections
What are you most excited about when you think of what life will be like when Jesus comes back?
If you would like more of a reflection on our journey this week please visit the following devotional links from the team of Love God Greatly. – You’ll also find a sneak peek at our next study!
When the Seasons Change https://lovegodgreatly.com/when-the-seasons-change/
Stand Firm and Look Up https://lovegodgreatly.com/stand-firm-and-look-up/