Jesus, I Need You
Scripture Reading: John 1:14-18; SOAP – John 15:5
Observation: Of the Teaching:
Christ’s teaching that He is the “vine” is a well known and wonderful illustration of our need to stay close to Him. However, because it is so familiar, it is easy to gloss over, which means we would be wise to ask the Lord for fresh eyes to look closely at what there is to learn even from the most familiar passages. Let’s dissect it and see what reminders or perhaps even some new insight the Spirit (John 14:26) might lead us to in this reading.
But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.John 14:26
In John 15:5, the following observations can be made:
- I [Christ] am the vine
- Christ is the source of life
- He became human and “made His dwelling among us” (John 1:14)
- You [disciples/followers] are the branches
- His followers are dependent on Him for life, strength, wisdom …
- Those [disciples/followers] who remain [abide/stay – meaning they are truly engaged with Jesus rather than just in it for appearance sake]
- And I [Christ] [abide/stay in them [disciples/followers]
- See John 1:14-18
- will produce [grow/develop] much fruit [evidence of new life]
- Galatians 5:19-26 bears witness that followers of Christ will bear fruit when they live by the Spirit
- ‘but you [disciples/followers] cannot do this without me’
- Paul emphasizes this truth in Philippians 4:13 with this antithesis – “I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.”
Application: How Then Should I Live?
Clearly, we are dependent on Jesus Christ and will only be healthy followers when we remain connected to Him – the Living Word. Abiding in Christ is both a privilege and a responsibility that is ours by Grace through Faith. It is vitally important that we realize this so that we do not neglect the responsibility nor forfeit the privilege by attempting to walk through this life in our own strength or according to our own desires.
LESS OF ME MORE OF CHRIST
This means we must SEEK and STRIVE to ABIDE in Christ and not be pulled away by the desires of the heart/flesh. We must be alert to the enemy’s tactics to steal, kill, and destroy. ABIDING IN CHRIST is our key weapon against our great enemy, the devil! The best formula for ABIDING is for there to be less of me and more of Christ. This happens when we saturate ourselves with Christ, the Word made flesh to dwell among us, John 1:14.
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.1 Peter 5:8
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.John 10:10
Prayer: Response to the Word
Father, I praise You for sending Your only begotten Son – Jesus – The Living Word and Lover of my soul. So deep and lasting is His love that He gave His life for mine! Sadly, I so often crave other things more – forgive me for these times and work in me a discipline to never put anything before You – my Savior and my God. Thank You for Your faithfulness to love me, to forgive me, to abide in me, and to hear me when I call to You. Change my desires – lessen the hold this world and my flesh have on me. May there be less of me and more of You LORD -that Your glory may be known and seen in me! For Your glory, Amen –
Visit Thistlebend Ministries for their encouraging devotional – Be sure and check-out what comes after their devotional! It’s a great and profitable way to go deeper in the Word.